Mausoleum taking the form a Romanesque chapel comprising of nave, transepts and apsidal chancel over a concealed vault (below). Ashlar walling rising from a base plinth with advanced buttress to chancel. Round-headed blind opes to nave having engaged columns and carved archivolt to surrounds; oculus openings to transepts. Round-headed doorway to principal gable-fronted elevation having concentric arches with flanking columns and carved archivolt. Double-leaf timber panelled door accessed behind wrought-iron gates. Cast-iron moulded eaves gutter supported on stone corbel course (each having individual carved decoration) with square-profile downpipes. Pitched slate roof (rounded to apsidal chancel) having terracotta ridge tiles and louvered dormer opes having slated cheeks. Cross-finals rising over gable elevations. Located to the south of the church on the periphery of the churchyard.
The neo-Romanesque style adopted was generally used much earlier in the 19th century, but the mausoleum is an accomplished essay in that style distinguihed by high-quality cariving - the external figurative corbels, clearly inspired by those on Kilpeck Church in Herefordshire, are particularly animated and interesting. This mausoleum is also historically important as a monument to the Anglican branch of a distinguished old Lancashire family, one notable for the architectural patronage of Augustus Pugin at Scarisbrick Hall.
Mosaic floor to interior having tomb slab to centre of nave enclosed by an ornamental wrought-iron railing. Exposed timber truss roof having painted and stencilled ceiling panels. Ornate detailing to the carved stone archways. Burial vault (below) having mosaic flooring with walls clad in glazed white brick. The coffins were placed on low stone plinths with shelves to one end of the nave carrying urns containing ashes.
During the renovation (carried out during 2016/17) engravings were found on the topside of sapitals on two of the stone columns srecording "W JOHNSON ARCHITECT S'PORT 1900" and "TASKER BROs SCULPTORS BURSCOUGH 1900".
E W Johnson of Southport
Grade II (England and Wales)
Sir Charles Scarisbrick (1839-1923) was the second illegitimate son of the Charles Scarisbrick who employed Pugin to build Scarisbrick Hall. Although the latter left the hall to his sister Anne (Lady Hunloke) it is clear that most of the estate went to the children of his German mistress. His natural son, Charles, was brought up largely in Germany, and lived for many years in and near Frankfurt, the home of his wife, Bertha. About 1888 however, he returned to England going to live at Scarisbrick Lodge on part of his land. After this he was much involved with the development of Southport, helping to procure gifts of land for several schools and churches as well as the new infirmary. He built the family mausoleum sometime between 1899 AND 1901, poasibly with some later alterations in 1913 by architect G S Paker.
Conserved in 2017
BoE: N Lancs (1969), 223;
J M Robinson, A Guide to the Country Houses of the North-West (1988), 187, 235;
VCH: Lancashire (1907), 3, 265-270;
J Bateman, Great Landowners of Great Britain and Ireland (1878);
W Burnett Tracy, Lancashire at the Opening of the Twentieth Century (1903), 119, 412.
If you're visiting this mausoleum and would like to take this information with you, why not download and print the PDF using the button below:
Churchyard of St John