MMT Logo

Andrews Mausoleum

Large neo-classical mausoleum built c.1867 on the site of an earlier family tomb.  Rectangular in plan having a base plinth, panelled corner pilasters, pediment and a dentiled entablature with rosette frieze.  Acroteria and urn finial to roofline.  Central doorway with a shouldered architrave and double-leaf cast-iron door to west elevation.  The remaining three elevations carry architraved inscription panels in red polished granite.

Architect

Style

Neo-Classical

Listing

--

Year built

1867

History

The inscription reads 'In the vault beneath rest the mortal remains of Thomas Andrews, born A.D.1698 died A.D.1744, and along with others of his family.  His son John Andrews, born A.D.1721, died A.D.1808, who held a commission in the Down militia in opposing the landing of the French in Ireland in 1760 and was Captain of a company of the Volunteers in 1779-82 raised at his own expense, in which his son James Andrews and several of his other sons were lieutenants.  He erected the tomb which is beneath, in 1778, in which rest the mortal remains of his wife Mary Andrews and several members of his family.  Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord.  The remains of the following also rest in the vault beneath: Sarah Andrews, born 23rd May 1834, died 2nd March 1845.  Mary Ann Andrews, born 22nd August 1822, died 5th April 1852.  Mary Jane Andrews, born 13th October 1847, died 17th March 1879.  James Andrews, J.P., born 23rd November 1829, died 7th February 1882.  Jane Andrews died 4th October 1882.  Mary Anne Andrews, born 29th July 1869, died 25th February 1885.  Amy Andrews, born 2nd August 1865, died 20th February 1894.  Sarah Andrews born 10th April 1807, died 13th February 1902.  John Andrews, J.P., born 27th January 1838, died 28th March 1903'.

A second inscription reads 'Erected by William Glenny Andrews A.D.1867 to remain a sacred memorial to his father, mother, brothers and sisters.  His father James Andrews, born 6th December 1762, died 2nd July 1841.  His mother, Frances Andrews born 10th April 1771, died 5th December 1835.  His brothers, George Andrews, born 19th March 1810, died 11th April 1833.  Joseph Andrews, born 28th June 1804, died 24 July 1835.  Thomas Andrews, born 5th May 1798, died 29th May 1838.  John Andrews, J.P., born 15th November 1792, died 13th May 1864, respected and esteemed in society, kind to the poor and beloved and admired by his family and friends.  Robert Andrews, Q.C., LL.D., 6th May 1802, died 20th February 1865. Chairman of the counties of Louth, Carlow, Wexford, Cork and Donegal successively.  A commissioner of National Education and a member of the Senate of the Queens University in Ireland.  William Glenny Andrews, born 2nd October 1794, died 13th September 1883.  Mary Andrews, born 14th March 1796, died 19th October 1884.  Sydney Andrews, 3rd son of John Andrews, Jnr., born 19th December 1877, died 13th October 1966'.

The Andrews family are known to have been prominent mill owners in the town of Comber.

Condition

Excellent condition (2003)

Sources

RSJ Clarke, Gravestone Inscriptions: County Down.  Ulster-Scot Historical Society (1966-1998).

J Beattie,The Mausolea of County Down and Greater Belfast.  Unpublished Dissertation, Queens University Belfast (2003).

Links

Related Articles/Publications

None

PDF Download

If you're visiting this mausoleum and would like to take this information with you, why not download and print the PDF using the button below:

Location

Location map not yet available

Comber Church of Ireland Graveyard
The Square
Comber
County Down
BT23 5DU
Northern Ireland