The strange design of this mausoleum with its dome surmounted by a four-legged obelisk topped with a carved flower does suggest the hand of Nash. It may also be argued that the incongruity between the rugged rustication on the lower walls and the delicacy, even thinness, of the mouldings higher up, can be explained by the inexperience of the architect. The plan of the building is relatively simple; it has a square central chamber flanked by wings each containing nine loculi. All save one of these is sealed by a slate panel bearing an inscription.
Probably John Nash
Grade II* (England and Wales)
Thomas Nash (d.1778) made a fortune as a calico printer. The inscription on the mausoleum describes him as “Merchant Citizen of London and one of His Majesty’s Justices of the Peace for…Kent and Surrey”. He was also the uncle of the architect John Nash (1752-1835) to whom he left a legacy in his will. Although there is no hard evidence for this, it is probable that the mausoleum is an early work of Nash. The exterior was restored in 1988 with the help of English Heritage, Sevenoaks District Council, the Leche Trust, the Georgian Group, the Pilgrim Trust and the mausoleum’s own small Trust Fund. Following the death of the sole surviving Trustee, it was taken into the guardianship of the MMT in 1997.
The mausoleum will be open on Saturtday 15 September 2018 as part of Heritage Open Days.
Memorial tablets conserved and repaired by Burslems stonemasons 2012.
BoE: W Kent & the Weald (1980), 283;
Shell Guide: Kent (1982), 84;
J Summerson, John Nash (1980), 84;
If you're visiting this mausoleum and would like to take this information with you, why not download and print the PDF using the link below:
Churchyard of St Peter and St Paul,
Evicted from Eternity
Country Life article by Michael Hall ... more
Roger Bowdler's article for Churchscape
A paper discussing the significance of mausolea, introducing the work of the MMT ... more
Rural Charity of the Year
Country Life award to the MMT ... more
The Decay of Dyinjg
An article by Christopher Woodward for the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain Newsletter No. 61 Summer 1997 ... more