26 May 2018
St John's Church, Crossens, PR9 8JH
The mausoleum, situated in the churchyard of St John's Church at Crossens, has recently undergone a complete restoration. It was built in 1895 by Charles Scarisbrick whose father had employed A W N Pugin to build Scarisbsrick Hall. The mausoleum lay derelict and ignored for many years but now is restored close to its original condition.
Now that the restoration is complete the MMT is keen to encourage local interest in the mausoleum and to establish a local Friends group which can provide and manage controlled access to parties interested in its architecture and history, supply local supervision to ensure that any required work or maintenance be advised to the MMT, and to develop further research into the history and architecture of this engaging structure.
With this in mind the MMT held an Open Day which enabled local residents and interested groups to see the interior as well as the outside of the mausoleum and witness the great restoration work which has been carried out.
The day began with a talk given by Tim Knox, Patron and former Chairman of the MMT.and recently appointed Director of the Royal Collection. Tim has been Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge since April 2013. An eminent architetural historian and curator of country houses, he was previously Director of the Sir John Soane's Museum and Head Curator at the National Trust.